Project Datto update

So yesterday I took the car out for a spin, so winter is officially over for the Datto.

But first things first, Here are 2 more modifications I did these last few weeks. I fitted new 3-point inertia safety belts (more on this later). And I fitted the 123 ignition distributor.


Yes, it’s a complete distributor, advance can be programmed via Bluetooth and the 123 app on your phone. Installation was straight forward, just go by the manual, easy peasy. Mount everything up
connect 2 wires
set the dizzy according to the 123 manual
hook up the 3rd wire
Put a cap on the dizzy and wire your spark wires according to the firing order and relative to the position of the dizzy finger after the installation.

So here are a few questions I had prior the installation and which I now can answer myself.
Will the tach still work?    Yes
Keep or ditch the coil ballast?      I used a new Bosch Red coil which has a primary resistance of 1.6 Ohm, so I kept the ballast. Works fine. If you are using a 3 Ohm coil, you might be able to ditch the ballast.
These are the advance curves I’m running from start, they might change slightly once I got more time to play with them.

 

Advertisements

Project Datto: Winter Update

So as the winter period is the time of the year to do some resto work and updates, here is a little update. This winter it’s mostly around the rear of the car. So I removed the fuel tank, inspected the inside and decided an outside resto is all it needed. I mechanically stripped it, put it in rust converter (KSD Kovermi) and brush painted it in Brantho Corrux 3-1, which is a primer, rust protector and paint. All in one.

_tank restore

I also decided to clean that mess of vent hoses which can be found on these later and US cars. I pretty much converted it to early EU/Japan layout. Put on all new hoses, restored the tank fixing straps (Stripped, rust converter, paint), new vents.
Here is a graph of my new vent line layout:

_tank vents.jpg

While the tank was out I also cleaned the underside. How could you not. So same process as always: stripping old under seal and paint, rust converter, 3in1 paint.

_floor rest 7

As I also had ordered new U-joints, boots,… quite a while ago I restored the rear axles to. Removed the axles, disassembled and cleaned, stripped the paint, repainted, greased everything up. Removed the U-joints, fitted new U-joints with the shop press, fitted new boots.

20190108_1027558525886137720739626.jpg

20181122_1016313017292994377731948.jpg

And I prepared everything for a rear wing install. No, not necessarily for the looks only, but to test and try to get rid of the exhaust fumes in the car. It’s worth a try!
But more on this later.

Toyota MR2 Mk1a AW11…my midship runabout

Say hello to my newest purchase, say hello to project “SuperMario”. It’s a 1986 MR2 Mk1a or AW11. Imported from the US in 1992 to Sweden, 20+years later to Germany and it now lives with me in Luxembourg 🙂

As it hasn’t seen any snow, ice and salt (yes, it’s winter here!) since many many years, I picked it up with my neighbor’s tow truck. Thanks Yann!

20181215_1620101695318230480768049.jpg20181215_1244129216458135740449164.jpg20181216_110559208078594499794848.jpg20181215_1534343214645540703767881.jpgIMG_9683IMG_3809IMG_6110toyota-mr2-13toyota-mr2-03

The datto @ LOF oldtimer breakfast

So after starting to write posts about the mods and maintenance that will be done over the next months as it is winter, here some shots of the Datto at the last oldtimer breakfast of 2018. Think of it as a sort of cars and coffee just for old cars. One of the best things you can do on a Sunday morning 😉

screenshot_20181027-121146_chrome3447826186944235575.jpgscreenshot_20181023-220535_chrome2785295973865429638.jpgscreenshot_20181023-220518_chrome4630512999181336234.jpg