zcarbro

Finally an update on my Datto

Sorry guys, but the blog is really running slow at the moment. But since I became a father, my free time is just way more limited. Owning 4 project cars (3 vintage ones and 1 track oriented one) doesn’t help either. I’m running behind on every single car.

The 240Z’s engine bay is finished and back together. At the moment I’m fighting a bit with my brakes. Might be the reaction disc in the booster. Have to investigate a bit further.

So we left with me DIY zinc plating parts. The finish is nowhere near professionally plated parts. But I love it and the fact it’s done by me is just satisfying.

20180309_2201076992240442448534809.jpg

20180313_211047-1024x5762076932242225809823.jpg

So after I chemically and mechanically stripped the engine bay, I treated some areas with rust converter (Kovermi) and later painted it in 2 layers of a 3in1 product for rust protection, primer and base coat (Brantho Korrux 3-1)photogrid_15130756883626286390548691154149.jpg

Once dry, I made my color choice. At first I was unsure if glossy black, silver, blue. But I decided to have it the same colour as the rest of the body, wich is Bahama blue #352 by Mercedes. Added a special clearcoat for engine blocks (KSD).

photogrid_15141184707792207169519712692413.jpg

Some minor details have been addressed to: painted the airbox in factory orange, new rubber on the wire loom holders, cleaned the wire loom itself and wrapped it in new wire harness tape…

Next step was mounting a 5 speed gear box and starting to reassemble the bay

20180426_114358-1024x5768000425202690291919.jpg20180328_102310-1024x5753406169070638889044.jpg20180426_114407-1024x5762456132485865915103.jpg

Made my own “molded” hoses with the help of a little trick

wp-15296516309173986689805879638261.jpg

Engine back in, new “awesome” plug wires, diy battery hold down bracket…

20180501_194624-1024x6255929343681053125120.jpg20180427_131018-1024x5762476063248035979781.jpg20180427_130947-1024x576269991642610849352.jpg

I will post a complete before/after picture in the near future. Here are the 4 major stages of the bay

photogrid_15145599256245306313901441439400.jpg

And just for documentation purposes, the completed interior as it is at the moment. Still need to find a stock radio some day. Doesn’t need to work, just to nicely fill the hole!

20180614_213546-1024x576722104346583135236.jpg

Advertisements

Project datto: update

So why no real updates on the Datsun 240Z. Well what started as engine bay cleaning, escalated very quickly. At tje moment I started DIY zinc plating on bolts, brackets and stuff :-O

Project datto: back on the ground

So after over 4 months on jackstands I managed to have most of the parts bolted back onto the car. I mounted my freshly painted rims and put it on the ground. Feels so good to see it sitting on all four tires. Need to dial in the coilovers now and do a complete geometry. For reference, the coilovers (BC Racing) are lowered all the way down at the moment. The rear is exactly where I want it to be. The front will be raised 5-10mm and I’ll have to dial out quite some camber!
20160209_171731_edited-2 1060

And there is a change under the hood. I added at least 30hp 😉
wp-1455055159702.jpg

sometimes it’s in the details

I’m always a bit concerned of the interiors of my cars. I just want to feel nice and happy while driving. But there was the radio issue.
The car had a non working modern headunit wich was just thrown into the bin.
wp-1454573341654.jpg
But that left me with a big hole in the dash. Could see wires hanging,… no good!
So I was lucky to source an old 240Z radio. Didn’t care if it was working or not, as I just wanted something to fill that hole. So bought it from ebay for a whopping 105€. It was only a few days after I discovered I hadn’t read the details enough, so I found myself with a 260Z radio, wich as you know doesn’t fit the 240Z. So put that one on the shelf and was back with the hole in the dash again. So I decided to fab a block off plate out of some black plastic sheet. Done and installed I thought it was looking a bit dull. But I still had some diomond pattern vinyl from refreshening the interior. And quickly after the block off was complete. I like the result. The pic doesn’t do it justice! And it’s plenty enough until I find a factory radio one day.
wp-1454573144372.jpg