The datto @ LOF oldtimer breakfast

So after starting to write posts about the mods and maintenance that will take past over the next months as it is winter, here some shots of the Datto at the last oldtimer breakfast of 2018. Think of it as a sort of cars and coffee just for old cars. One of the best things you can do on a Sunday morning 😉

screenshot_20181027-121146_chrome3447826186944235575.jpgscreenshot_20181023-220535_chrome2785295973865429638.jpgscreenshot_20181023-220518_chrome4630512999181336234.jpg

Advertisements

Project Datto: Roadtrip ahead

In preparation to a road trip to the French alps which includes 23 pass roads and approx. 2400km there was the urge to do some general maintenance and updates. I planned to do a Toyota front brake caliper swap to, but the parts did not arrive on time, so I’ll have to do this upgrade later.

20180726_1416508181020145222104631.jpg

So after driving 500km on the newly mounted 5-speed gearbox (which I bought untested 3 years ago) I saw a small oil leak, so I replaced the rear transmission seal. While the gearbox was off, I also replaced the pilot bushing in the crankshaft as it had seen better days. Another item added to the driveline, a RT Diffmount.

Another thing I had laying around for moths was a complete engine-back exhaust from Zstory. After quite some fiddling to get everything right and a homemade header heat shield, I mounted everything up. It’s quitter than my previous pacesetter/homemade/… exhaust but the exhaust note is way nicer. In order to limit exhaust leaks to a maximum we decided to weld it up where we could 😉

20180726_1652307383280834451641324.jpg

As I had to drain the coolant to remove the intake manifold to mount the header it was a good opportunity to flush the complete coolant system and even a better opportunity to change the tired old radiator to an aluminium Mishimoto radiator. As I wanted to stay with the mechanical fan on one side, but improve its effect I decided to fab a homebuilt fan shroud.

While cleaning the shed I even found the splash pan, which is rumored to improve cooling to. So I mounted this back up to.

20180810_153754399770545085083245.jpg

Another addition are front and rear tow hooks from Zstory

.facebook_1534927652267.jpg1460605087165622688.jpg

I bled the clutch, renewed the rear fuel lines from the tank to the hard lines, mounted new Toyo Proxess CF2 tires in 195/65R14, changed the engine oil, replaced gearbox and diff oil, greased the U-joints, changed the auxiliary belt, got a oem replica 5 speed wooden shift knob…

And now wish me luck, I never drove more than 200km in one go, and now I’m trying to do 12 times as much in only 5 days. Let’s see if it can survive the torture. If it does, be prepared to see some super AWESOME pictures of these 2 Datsuns together in the Alps!

20180819_1351452272865976762599308.jpg20180815_204404847948551351790509.jpg

My datto passed tech for another 2 years

So every 2 years I have to go to quite some wrenching to get my Datsun 240Z through tech inspections. This includes stock suspension, OEM Datsun/Nissan wheels with stock tire size and some other minor things… It’s the price to pay here if you don’t like to drive stock 😉

Once passed, it’s back to beautiful for the next 2 years:

Finally an update on my Datto

Sorry guys, but the blog is really running slow at the moment. But since I became a father, my free time is just way more limited. Owning 4 project cars (3 vintage ones and 1 track oriented one) doesn’t help either. I’m running behind on every single car.

The 240Z’s engine bay is finished and back together. At the moment I’m fighting a bit with my brakes. Might be the reaction disc in the booster. Have to investigate a bit further.

So we left with me DIY zinc plating parts. The finish is nowhere near professionally plated parts. But I love it and the fact it’s done by me is just satisfying.

20180309_2201076992240442448534809.jpg

20180313_211047-1024x5762076932242225809823.jpg

So after I chemically and mechanically stripped the engine bay, I treated some areas with rust converter (Kovermi) and later painted it in 2 layers of a 3in1 product for rust protection, primer and base coat (Brantho Korrux 3-1)photogrid_15130756883626286390548691154149.jpg

Once dry, I made my color choice. At first I was unsure if glossy black, silver, blue. But I decided to have it the same colour as the rest of the body, wich is Bahama blue #352 by Mercedes. Added a special clearcoat for engine blocks (KSD).

photogrid_15141184707792207169519712692413.jpg

Some minor details have been addressed to: painted the airbox in factory orange, new rubber on the wire loom holders, cleaned the wire loom itself and wrapped it in new wire harness tape…

Next step was mounting a 5 speed gear box and starting to reassemble the bay

20180426_114358-1024x5768000425202690291919.jpg20180328_102310-1024x5753406169070638889044.jpg20180426_114407-1024x5762456132485865915103.jpg

Made my own “molded” hoses with the help of a little trick

wp-15296516309173986689805879638261.jpg

Engine back in, new “awesome” plug wires, diy battery hold down bracket…

20180501_194624-1024x6255929343681053125120.jpg20180427_131018-1024x5762476063248035979781.jpg20180427_130947-1024x576269991642610849352.jpg

I will post a complete before/after picture in the near future. Here are the 4 major stages of the bay

photogrid_15145599256245306313901441439400.jpg

And just for documentation purposes, the completed interior as it is at the moment. Still need to find a stock radio some day. Doesn’t need to work, just to nicely fill the hole!

20180614_213546-1024x576722104346583135236.jpg